Have you accidentally locked your Airtel sim and are looking for the solution? Well, in that case this article can help you.
If you lock a sim then it doesn’t bother much unless the phone is restarted and you see that the phone is asking for a code and it is locked. When this happens, you can’t use the phone for anything until you unlock the sim.
Well, in these typical situations, first we have to look at why it happens and what type of code will work on it.
So, let’s take a look at all of these and after that I will show you how you can unlock your locked sim in different ways.
For fast reading, take the help of the table of content given below.
What is Airtel PUK Code?
PUK which is also known as Personal Unlocking Key, is a feature in mobile phones to protect the sim information which is stored by the user.
It is very similar to phone locks which we use in our smartphones to protect our data.
This comes in handy when your phone is stolen and you want your sim data to be protected so that no one can access it and extract information from it.
But the catch is that, if your sim is locked and you enter the wrong pin 3 times then your sim will get temporarily blocked. Now this sim will ask for PUK code.
But if you again entered the wrong PUK code 10 times then the sim will get permanently locked and hence it will be impossible to open it again.
In those cases, a new sim is provided with the old sim number.
Read More: Airtel Message Center Number
Airtel Default Sim Pin Code
Most of the pins come with an inbuilt pin of a 4 digit numerical string. If you have not changed the original one, then you can unlock it by entering that.
In most cases, the default pin of the Airtel sim is either 1111 or 0000. Both are given 4 digit numbers.
Many people change this original pin code so that it is more secure. You can also do it by using the inbuilt settings of your phone.
- Go to mobile Settings > Security.
- Enable the lock sim card option.
- Here, it will ask for a new pin.
- You will have to enter it again for confirmation.
- Once done, the sim will get locked.
You can also do it using a specific ussd code which makes it quite easier but it is confusing. Here is the code for it:
**04*Original Pin*New Pin*New Pin#
Remember that both pin codes should be a 4 digit number.
If you are not familiar then I won’t recommend locking your sim card unless necessary. Locking the phone entirely is a much better option in many cases.
How To Unlock Sim Using PUK Code Airtel
The Airtel PUK code is provided with the sim certificate which you get when you buy it from the retailer or online. If you have that, then you can directly find it from there and use it.
If that’s not the case then you don’t need to worry as I have provided many ways to get this PUK code. You can continue reading to know more about them.
When you get this PUK code, all you will need to do it to:
- Put the blocked sim in the sim card slot and switch ON the phone.
- You will get the locked screen asking for the PUK code.
- Enter the code which you have found from the below methods.
After this, your sim will be unlocked and you will be able to use it again.
Methods To Get Airtel PUK Code
To help the customers in urgent situations like this, Airtel has provided many official ways to get the PUK code.
All of these are working and if one somehow doesn’t work for you, then take the help of other methods.
Get Airtel PUK Code By Calling On Airtel Customer Care Number
In this scenario, contacting Airtel customer care can help you a lot. Below I’ve provided 2-3 ways to contact the Airtel support. If one number doesn’t work then keep trying on the others.
|S.No||Airtel PUK Code Customer Care|
|1.||121 or 111|
|2.||198 or 123|
Talk directly to customer care executive
This is the general customer care number- 111 and 121 of the Airtel network. You can call there and find out the puk code of your sim:
- Open calling application on your device.
- Dial 121 or 111 in the dial pad and call on it.
- An executive of Airtel customer care will connect to you and they will ask your problem.
- Now tell them that you want to know the PUK code of your sim.
- Firstly, they will verify by asking for personal details such as Date Of Birth (DOB) or Aadhar card number in some cases.
- Once you are verified, then you will be provided with the PUK number.
- Now, you can use it for unlocking your sim.
Note: You can use another number which is 12150 to connect with the customer care staff directly. All of these are toll free numbers so don’t worry about any balance deductions.
Call on 198
If you don’t want to talk to the customer care agent then you can try this automated help number for Airtel.
- Open the dial pad and call on 198.
- Choose your language by pressing the appropriate buttons.
- Now, you will hear the complete menu from the IVR.
- Once the PUK option comes, choose it by typing the option number.
- Here you will be given two options- Get PUK code of your number or Get PUK code of another Airtel number.
- Choose the appropriate option, and verify your personal identity by giving the details which are asked.
- Once done, you will hear the Airtel PUK code. Note down this number somewhere so that you can use it later.
Note: You can also call on the number- 123. It also has IVR and you will get the PUK code without talking to the agent. Here you will have to press 2 for the PUK menu.
What to do if you don’t have another Airtel number?
All of the above two methods will only work if you have another Airtel number. If you don’t have one then you can’t use the official Airtel customer care numbers.
That’s why for non-Airtel users, there are some other numbers through which you can contact the Airtel customer care.
You can click here to visit the list on Airtel’s official site or take help from the pic we have provided below.
Check Out: How To Check Data Balance In Vi Sim
Unlock Airtel PUK via USSD Code
If your current sim is locked then you won’t be able to use it to get the PUK code. Instead you will have to take help of another Airtel sim and use this ussd code for getting the sim unlock code.
This method will also work on old generation phones i.e Keypad mobiles and you don’t need to install any app for it. Follow these steps:
- Go to the Phone call application and Dial *121*51# in the dial pad.
- After dialling this click on the OK button which will be displayed on the screen.
- A popup box will appear, now enter 3 to select PUK and send it.
- Now you can- enter 1 if you want the PUK code for another Airtel number and enter 2 to get the PUK of your number.
- Enter your choice and send it to get to the next step.
- After this, you will be asked to enter your DOB in format DDMMYYYY for the confirmation.
- If you are successfully verified and confirmed then you will be shown the PUK code.
- Note it and use it where you were required.
Get Airtel PUK Code Using Airtel Thanks App
Here is another method which is more user friendly than others but it will only work in certain circumstances.
If you were already logged in using your blocked Airtel number then only this method will be able to get the PUK code.
- First of all you have to shut down your mobile.
- Take out the sim which is protected from PUK.
- After this you can turn on the mobile.
- Once the blocked sim is removed, you won’t be asked about entering the PUK code.
- Now, if your phone supports dual sim then connect to the internet with it’s data otherwise use a wifi for the internet connection.
- Once it’s done, open the Airtel Thanks app on your device.
- Click on the More button which is located at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the Help & Support.
- Search by entering the text- “PUK Code” in the search bar.
- Now, click on the “I want to know my PUK Number | Prepaid”. This will appear below the search bar of the previous step.
- Choose the blocked sim, for which you wanted the PUK code.
- You will see the PUK code on the screen.
How To Get Airtel PUK Code Through SMS
You can also get the PUK code for your Airtel blocked sim by sending an sms. This is a simple and straightforward process.
If currently you have the 15 digit sim number of your blocked Airtel number then you can directly jump to step 3 and follow the instructions from there.
If not, then you will have to first get the sim number by sending another sms:
- Open to Messaging application on your device.
- Create a new message, enter the mobile number of the blocked sim and send it to 785.
- Now, you should get a reply with the 15 digit sim number.
- After that enter PUK<Space>15 digit number which you got in previous sms.
- Send this text message to 121.
- Now you will receive another sms from Airtel but this one will have the 8 digit PUK number.
- Now, you can use this code to unlock your sim.
Also Read: Jio To Airtel Porting Guide
What to do when no method works for Airtel PUK code?
If none of the above provided methods are working and you don’t have access to the sim card documents then the only option is to visit an Airtel store.
Now, if your sim is not blocked then they will somehow get your PUK code and activate your sim again but if the sim is permanently blocked then you will have to apply for a new Airtel sim with the same number.
They will guide you there so you don’t need to worry much. Just find the nearest store and go to it.
- Click here to visit the Airtel store locator (This link will open in a new browser tab).
- Enter your location’s pin code in the search bar.
- Many stores will appear on the map.
- Select the nearest store from your address.
- Visit it along with some documents like- Passport size photo, Identity Proof, Sim card purchase proof. You will also have to fill a call history form to confirm your sim ownership.
- Ask help from the staff regarding the PUK code and what to do next if no method is working.
- They will guide you after your verification and if possible, will issue you a new Airtel sim.
I hope that by the time you reach this section of the article, you have successfully unlocked your Airtel sim by entering the correct PUK code.
If you liked this article then you can share it with your friends so that they also can learn about the PUK code in Airtel and how to find it.
If somehow you are still getting some issues, then comment down below so that I can help you.
Related Post: Airtel Call Details Check Code
FAQs- How To Know Airtel PUK Code
- What is the Airtel PUK code?
It is an 8 digit numeric code which acts as a barrier between the user and the data of the sim. It helps to protect the sim from unauthorized access.
- How to unlock Airtel sim without PUK code?
Yes, initially you can unlock the sim just by entering the security pin of the sim. But once you have entered it wrongly 3 times, then you will be asked for PUK code.
- How to get Airtel PUK code online?
Currently there is no way to get it online other than using the Airtel Thanks app and that too will only work for active and logged in sim.
- What is the best method to unlock PUK Airtel?
USSD code is the best way to do this and I’d recommend using it because it will work on all types of phones whether it is an Android, iPhone or a keypad one.